145 Suspected Drug Offenders Arrested in Island-wide Operation
Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) arrested 145 suspected drug offenders in an island-wide drug operation from 5 to 19 May 2023. During the operation, controlled drugs of about 1,697g of heroin, 1,374g of ‘Ice’, 348g of cannabis, 20g of ketamine, 133 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets and ‘Ecstasy’ tablets weighing about 60g, 50 Erimin-5 tablets, 74 Tapendatol tablets, four bottles of liquid suspected to contain GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate) were seized. These drugs have an estimated street value of about $354,000.
- Some of the areas covered during this island-wide operation included Bedok, Choa Chu Kang, Pasir Ris, Woodlands and Yishun.
5 May 2023: Arrest of two Singaporeans for suspected drug trafficking offences
- In the afternoon of 5 May, CNB officers arrested two Singaporeans, a 37-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman, for suspected drug trafficking offences in a hotel room in the vicinity of Geylang Road. About 1,545g of heroin, 702g of ‘Ice’, ‘Ecstasy’ tablets weighing about 60g, and various drug paraphernalia were seized.
Photo 1 (CNB): Controlled drugs including heroin and ‘Ice’ seized in a hotel room in the vicinity of Geylang Road in a CNB operation on 5 May 2023.
8 May 2023: Arrest of six suspected drug abusers in the vicinity of Bedok South Avenue 2
- In the morning of 8 May, CNB raided a residential unit and arrested six youths, aged between 17 and 21, for suspected drug offences in a residential unit in the vicinity of Bedok South Avenue 2. Of the youths arrested, one was a foreign national while the rest were Singaporeans. About 5.3g of ‘Ice’, 2.2g of cannabis and various drug paraphernalia were seized from within the unit.
Photo 2 (CNB): A suspected drug offender arrested by CNB officers in an island-wide drug operation from 5 to 19 May 2023.
11 May 2023: Four Singaporeans arrested in the vicinity of North Bridge Road
- In the evening of 11 May, CNB officers arrested four Singaporean youths for suspected drug trafficking offences in a hotel in the vicinity of North Bridge Road. A 22-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl were placed under arrest in a hotel room where about 39g of ‘Ice’, 1g of ketamine, cash amounting to $2,139.50 and various drug paraphernalia were seized. CNB officers subsequently arrested two men, aged 19 and 24, and escorted them to their vehicle where a search was conducted. About 58g of ‘Ice’, 1g of cannabis, 48 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets and various drug paraphernalia were seized.
Photos 3 – 4 (CNB): Controlled drugs including ‘Ice’ and cash seized in a CNB operation in the vicinity of North Bridge Road on 11 May 2023.
- Superintendent Christopher Lee, Commanding Officer of CNB Enforcement ‘A’ and ‘E’ Divisions, said of the island-wide operation:
“During this series of anti-drug operations, CNB arrested groups of youths who are suspected to have abused drugs in a friend’s home or in a hotel room. The 2022 Health and Lifestyle Survey conducted by the Institute of Mental Health has found that residences – one’s own home or a friend’s home – were the most commonly cited locations for drug consumption. The survey has also found that for those who abused drugs, the mean age of onset of drug abuse was 15.9 and 52% of these abusers started out with cannabis. It is crucial for parents and family members to be vigilant to warning signs of drug abuse and help their child seek help early. We strongly encourage parents to have conversations about the harms of drugs with their child early to build up their resilience against drugs and to help our young ones thrive and flourish in a safe and healthy environment.”
- Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 15g of pure heroin (diamorphine), he or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
- Investigations into all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
19 May 2023