Work-life-balance VS Salary?
Hi guys, would you choose to slog it out while young or live a simple and relax life?
Context: I (28M) have a job offer from another company for 12k and is currently making 9k. The 12k job company is known for working some OT, intensive work during the day with not many contracted annual leaves (14 days).
On the other hand, the 9k job that I am currently working has too many leaves (total 40days) and very relax during the day.
As many would say, it’s good in the long term to work very hard while you’re young. What would you choose? And why?
- I would go for 9k. Life is more than work.
- you can have the 12k job, can i have that 9k job?
- $9K because it’s already plenty. 14 days leave is BS.
- plus with 40 PTO, with the right timing and distribution, OP can have a 4 days work week for 90% of the year.
- What kind of job would a 28 yo have to earn 9k a month? I’m really curious
- If I were in your shoes, I’d consider 2 points:
- Your own life goals and ambitions. Knowing this will guide your decision making not only in this case but for most choices you will face in life. Personally, I’m not that ambitious and chose the work life balance option. That is because I knew what I wanted (not alot) and what I enjoyed doing (not work).
- Assuming you didn’t have the answer to (1), I would then weigh the long term prospects and options that each role will give you. The immediate trade off between your current and prospective roles is clear. But does the lower paying job come with more prestige to unlock future roles (MNC vs. Unknown startup), job security, long term increments / progression.