A 64-year-old man in Malaysia, Ji Ri Mei, had Ang Ku Kueh for breakfast but choked on it before subsequently dying, according to Shin Chew Daily.
The man was having the sticky and chewy Chinese pastry for his breakfast at his home in Bagan Datuk, Perak on 29 January.
He was with his son and daughter-in-law at his Sungai Sumun home having breakfast at about 9am, when he started having difficulties breathing and feeling soreness in his throat.
He realised he was choking and his son and daughter-in-law started panicking when they realised he was choking, before rushing him to the nearest clinic nearby which was about 2 minutes away.
However when they reached the clinic, they found that it was closed, and they hurriedly rushed to a private hospital, which was 10km away in Teluk Intan, according to China Press.
But too much time had passed and their father died in the car while on the way to the hospital.
The deceased’s son only realised after his father had died, that at the first clinic, there was an emergency button that he could’ve pressed to alert the staff inside.
He was reportedly filled with regret and guilt/
Ji’s body was sent for an autopsy at a hospital and his cause of death was then confirmed to have arose from choking.
Before his death, Ji moved to Penang to be with his children and only returned to his hometown in Sungai Sumun for the Chinese New Year.
Image source: China Press and Yun Huang Yong (via Wikipedia Commons)