Singapore woman sues NParks for nearly S$40,000 after wild boar attack at Bukit Panjang bus stop
A Singaporean woman is suing the National Parks Board (NParks) after she was allegedly attacked by a wild boar at a Bukit Panjang bus stop in 2023, with the lawsuit seeking nearly S$40,000 in special damages.
Durga Devi Subramaniam filed the civil claim on Apr. 29, seeking S$39,827.10 for expenses including medical treatment, transport and loss of earnings. She is also seeking additional damages for pain and suffering, loss of future earning capacity and future medical expenses, CNA reported.
The case was reported by CNA, which noted that NParks has denied the allegations and intends to contest the claim.
Woman allegedly bitten and thrown by wild boar
The incident took place at around 11.50pm on May 1, 2023, at a bus stop along Bangkit Road.
According to court documents cited by CNA, Durga claimed that a wild boar attacked her and that she was bitten before being “caught and tossed three times” by the animal.
She suffered injuries to several parts of her body, including her right calf, right index and middle fingers, right palm and buttocks.
Her injuries were serious enough to require several surgical procedures.
A medical report submitted as part of the lawsuit stated that she was left with permanent disability in her right hand because of nerve damage.
Durga alleges that NParks was negligent in managing the presence of wild boars in areas close to roads and residential neighbourhoods.
She also claimed that the agency failed to take sufficient measures to prevent people from being injured, including properly managing the animals and maintaining appropriate fencing.
The lawsuit argues that NParks should have exercised reasonable care when managing interactions between wildlife and members of the public.
NParks denies negligence
NParks has rejected the allegations and argued that it had taken “all reasonable efforts” to manage Singapore’s wild boar population and minimise risks to public safety.
Its wildlife management measures include monitoring animal populations, educating the public, enforcing rules against feeding wildlife and removing wild boars where necessary.
The agency also pointed to the circumstances immediately before the incident.
According to NParks, a traffic accident involving a wild boar had been reported along the same stretch of road approximately five minutes before Durga’s alleged attack.
NParks argued that the circumstances leading to the incident were beyond its control.
The agency also claimed that Durga may have contributed to the incident herself by failing to maintain a proper lookout, keep a safe distance from the animal and take reasonable precautions for her own safety.
The court will therefore have to consider both the alleged duty of care owed by NParks and whether the circumstances surrounding the encounter support the agency’s defence.
Separate lawsuit over Singapore Botanic Gardens fall
NParks is also facing another unrelated civil lawsuit involving an incident at the Singapore Botanic Gardens.
The second case involves Lim Fon Kui and Wong Sung Mui, who claimed they tripped over a temporary cable cover while walking beside Swan Lake towards the car park at Tanglin Gate on July 27, 2025.
Medical reports stated that Lim suffered bruising to his right shoulder and knee, while Wong fractured her right knee and sustained abrasions to her right wrist.
The pair are seeking more than S$11,000 in combined general and special damages.
They allege that NParks created a potential tripping hazard by allowing electrical cables to be placed across a public walkway using a temporary cover.
NParks says cable cover was standard design
NParks has also denied negligence in the Botanic Gardens case.
The agency said the cable cover was not installed by NParks or its employees. Instead, it was reportedly installed by a subcontractor working for Pico Art International, which had been engaged for a festival through a government tender process.
NParks argued that it was entitled to rely on the contractor to manage the safety of the temporary event infrastructure and should not be held vicariously liable for the contractor’s actions.
It also said the cable cover was a standard design commonly used to safely route electrical cables across pedestrian areas.
According to NParks, the cover was intended to reduce the risk posed by exposed cables rather than create a hazard.
The agency further argued that the incident occurred around noon in daylight, meaning the cover should have been clearly visible to pedestrians.
It claimed that Lim and Wong may have contributed to their own falls by failing to maintain their footing, take reasonable care or avoid an obvious feature on the walkway.
Both civil cases are scheduled to be heard in court on Aug. 21.
The lawsuits highlight the potentially complex legal questions surrounding public safety, wildlife management and temporary infrastructure in public spaces. However, the allegations made in the lawsuits have yet to be proven in court, while NParks continues to contest both claims.
