Should I go to TADM or proceed with civil suit?
My startup employer has not been paying me since June 2022 and has promised a back payment in Feb 2023 when new investors are in. New investor has started to came in but the employer has brushed off the back payment and said wants to have more ‘mainstream’ investors before he can give the back payment.
Total salary owed with cpf is around 40k. TADM can only allow me to claim to 20k. Should I proceed with a civil suit instead?
- Why are u still working with them, bro?
- Why didn’t you quit earlier???? Reminds me of a friend who was owed 3mths pay and he didn’t quit because the boss was a ‘nice bro.’ The company folded and he didn’t get a cent because there was no money left.
- I shooketh bruh
HOW DID U LET IT GET TO 40K. I wouldn’t even let it get to 4k. 40k is like some peoples entire annual salary (and from the looks of it, half a year of your salary) how can you be ok with it?!?!!
CPF board lah. Employer confirm get into deep sh-t one.
- Wah $40k sia. You must be a very patient and nice person. A former employer didn’t pay my last salary for 3 weeks and I started making noise and threatening to report to MOM and CPF already. Settled within a few days.
Sometimes you need to be assertive in order to get back what people owe you. Cannot be too passive and nice, they’ll just keep dragging until you decide to do something about it.
Tell them you won’t give chance anymore and to settle it within a week, if they still give excuses then please proceed with TADM, report to CPF board and take legal action.
You’re better off not working there lah, giving them free labour only. Hope you’re trying to get a job elsewhere already.
- claim 20k via TADM first. it only costs $30 to file a claim. there are no rules to stop you from pursuing legal action on your own after for the next $20k.
- Between the two, Civil suit. 40k is in magistrates court, legal fees should be minimal. You should also consider the strength of your case before considering whether you want to commence. In particular, whether employer agreed to make payment in writing (e.g. whatsapp).