Not giving my co worker the money for the shift I covered for her?
My (16m) coworker texted me and asked for the money that I got for working her shift. This is my first job so I don’t know if I’m in the wrong.
I need money and was happy to pick up my coworkers shift when she asked me to. The day after the shift she texted me and said “I think they accidentally gave the money to you even though it was my shift, do you mind sending me it?”
I think she’s just trying to gaslight me into giving her my money but I’m not 100% sure. I asked my parents and my mom said give it to her while my dad said it’s my money so I’m at a stand still.
Edit: I told her I’ll ask the general manager what to do and she said no just keep it. I asked him anyway and he said he‘ll talk to her and that’s the last I’ve heard from either of them as of now
Edit: I think she got fired. After I asked the general manager she texted me and cussed me out for telling him.
- What is your mom on? It’s your money, you did the work. Your friend is acting like a pimp, maybe she is young and naïve but your mom should know better.
- She wants to have time off and get paid also? She’s OK to try that with a co-worker. But if she pulled that stunt on anybody higher ranking, she’d be out of a job so fast it would make her head spin.
- You worked the shift, you get paid for the shift. Covering a shift doesn’t mean you provide a free service to her and she gets paid. Why would anyone work if they could just get someone to cover for them and get the money?
- NO, if you work the hours you get the money.
- Do not give her the money. Do not even give her half as a compromise which she may try to ask you for. That’s just not how things work. You worked the shift, so you get paid. She’s delusional.
- Your mom is kinda insane. That’s not how it works. They are trying to scam you. Now that you understand the person you’re dealing with, DISTANCE yourself. They are trouble.
- Being paid is compensation for your time and effort. As it was YOUR time and effort, it’s YOU who should be paid. The person you covered didn’t use any of their time or any of their effort, so they don’t get paid. Simple as that.