Company requesting “volunteer” work after hours for no pay.
Our company recently went through downsizing and restructuring. Its been difficult and morale is low.
Several people have quit recently. So the execs decided that to turn things around, a survey of our clients to find out what we do right/wrong would be helpful.
Today they sent out a memo asking people to work for a few additional hours every night next week to call clients and administer the survey.
No compensation other than a gift certificate for dinner for the person who makes the most calls. Is this as deranged as it sounds?
- Calling clients during the evening is deranged. Don’t do it for free. If you are salary, I guess that is different. Kill time during the work day.
- Tell your boss that you’re looking for a volunteer to clean your house, wash your dishes, run your laundry. Unpaid but maybe you’ll give them a gift card or something.
- Do. Not. Work. For. Free.
- Gift certificate to dinner??? They still don’t get it. These mother f-ers will never get it. We want PAID for our work and our time and we want paid appropriately.
- No chance I’d stay late off the clock.
- If your company doesn’t even know what they’re doing right or wrong by now there’s no point in doing the survey. Customers tell you all the time what you’re doing right and wrong, but you have to listen.
- Our company is struggling, so let’s piss off our remaining clients by ringing them outside working hours, and let’s piss off our staff by making them do it for free. I think it’s a fairly safe bet the reason the company is struggling is because of poor management.
- Nope don’t work for free EVER. Once you do this it becomes an expectation.If they can’t see where they have made mistakes it’s on them not you.Start working for free and then come the payouts and shitty raises.