TikTok user @vivala_blondiiie, shared how she was charged $25 by a restaurant after the staff cut a birthday cake that she and her friends had brought themselves, according to Yahoo Singapore.
She posted a video showing the receipt from the restaurant, with the subtotal being $113, before zooming in on the charge of $25 for “1 cake cut”.
She captioned over her video: “When the server asks if we want the cake WE brought cut, thinking she’s doing something nice for us.. But it was 25 dollars.”
Response to the video by netizens have been largely mixed, with some expressing their shock at the $25 fee for just cutting a cake.
Other netizens said that it was a customary practice at restaurants, citing how the staff have to wash the plates and forks but accepted that it was wrong that the customer was not told of the fee.
- Normal for there to be a charge for outside food.
- I would have got the manager bc the server should have told you that you had to pay for it
- Definitely a thing. You aren’t buying their desserts and it’s a PITA to cut/serve. Would you bring your own entrees to the restaurant?
- (OP) Never asked them to serve me the cake I brought. Just like they never told me it was a charge. What kind of question is that
- Totally a thing. Because then they bring plates and forks, which they then have to wash. But it was wrong that you weren’t told of a fee.
- I don’t mind a small fee but 25 is crazy
- No different than a corking fee. It a restaurant policy to help them pay their bills when people bring food in
- ive never seen this omg. i served at an italian restaurant for a year and we’d cut cakes and provide plates just to be nice
@vivala_blondiiie I didn’t know this was a thing?!? 😳@BrazyBecca @Michelle Greene @Vanessa Valenbaer #ReadySetLift ♬ I try not to km.. – h