In a somber incident, a 58-year-old woman was discovered dead in her Potong Pasir flat after neighbours reported a foul smell emanating from her unit, according to Shin Min Daily News. The incident unfolded on Friday night, around 10 pm, leaving the community in shock and prompting police investigations.
Neighbours Raise the Alarm
The tragic discovery occurred when neighbours on Potong Pasir Avenue 1 detected a foul odor permeating from the second-floor unit where the woman resided. Concerned about the unusual smell and unable to establish contact with the occupant, they decided to alert the police.
Reports indicate that the deceased, a 58-year-old Chinese woman, lived alone in her second-floor flat at Block 118. Residents expressed their surprise at the sudden demise, noting that while she appeared healthy, no friends or relatives were observed visiting her.
Upon arriving at the scene, reporters found the police cordoning off the corridor outside the flat for evidence collection. The air carried a putrid smell, leaving a solemn atmosphere in the vicinity. Neighbours shared their shock and sadness, lamenting the passing of an elderly resident without the knowledge of friends or family.
Insights from Neighbours
One resident, Ms Cao, a 41-year-old hawker stall assistant, described the deceased as friendly, often exchanging greetings and chats with neighbours. However, the absence of visitors and sudden death surprised those who knew her. Another neighbour, Mr Chen, aged 60, revealed detecting a bad smell a couple of days before the discovery, initially attributing it to potential rotting food.
In response to the incident, the Singapore Police Force (SPF) received a report of an unnatural death at the location. Upon reaching the scene, they found the 58-year-old woman, believed to have collapsed at home. Despite paramedics pronouncing her dead at the scene, preliminary investigations have ruled out foul play. However, the case remains under active investigation.