How should I resolve this?
Something is giving me a big headache. My gf earn much more than my dad and during cny when my dad met her & found out about it, he secretly called my gf a sore loser.
But deep inside I just know it’s because he feels inferior that a lady can earn so much.
He couldn’t accept the fact that a fresh graduate could earn much more than what he had taken over 20 years to achieve.. How do I make my dad more open minded? Also I do not want my gf to know this mindset that my dad has, it’s really embarrassing.
Please help, need some advice.
Here are what netizens think:
- He should be proud that his son can find such a talented gf. Not everyone can be so gifted. Tell him that if someone is doing well in life, we should feel happy for them instead of being jealous. That’s a loser mentality.
- Aging parents… We should try not to take their words into heart. Sometimes, old people gets too emotionally unstable. They may blame us as a thief when they misplaced their items, or unappreciates our cooking…
- Hope your gf is matured and understanding enough to ignore your dad at the same time respects him, for -bringing you up.
- Why don’t you laugh and call him the sore loser? And if he doesn’t like it, ask and explain why he shouldn’t think so. After all, your father takes pride in his experience – so reassure him that his experience is still far more valued, it is just unfortunate that time has changed. He is valid to his feelings, but remind him that although your gf earns more, she has a future full of bills to pay for too. And so do you. “Isn’t her paycheck more beneficial for you in the long run, hmm Dad? Rising medical costs are a concern for the pockets you know.” Did he really expect the world to be the same in his generation? Let’s be realistic dad
- If that is his mindset for the past 50 60 years, I doubt anything can change it