[Fire @ Block 603 Hougang Ave 4]
At about 8:55 p.m. today (12 Mar), SCDF was alerted to a fire at the above location.
Upon SCDF’s arrival, the fire was raging in a bedroom of a fourth-floor unit. SCDF firefighters equipped with breathing apparatus penetrated into the smoke-logged unit to conduct firefighting operation. The fire was extinguished with a water jet. As a result of the fire, the rest of the unit also sustained heat and soot damages.
Two occupants from the affected unit had evacuated prior to SCDF’s arrival.
As a precautionary measure, about 130 residents from neighbouring units were evacuated by the police.
SCDF paramedic assessed two persons from the affected unit for smoke inhalation. Another two persons from a neighbouring unit were also assessed for smoke inhalation. All four persons refused conveyance to the hospital.
Preliminary investigation indicates that the fire is likely to be caused by an electrical origin from the affected bedroom.
SCDF would like to remind the public on good practices to adopt to prevent electrical fires from occurring:
a) Do not overload electrical outlets with electrical appliances;
b) Always switch off appliances when they are not in use;
c) Check the appliance for frayed wires or cracked cords. If observed the appliance should be repaired or replaced. Do not use faulty appliances;
d) Do not run wires under carpets or mats and keep wires away from hot surfaces;
e) Use appliances and electrical plugs bearing the Safety Mark. The categories of appliances can be found at http://www.consumerproductsafety.gov.sg ;
f) Do not leave batteries or devices to charge unattended for an extended period of time or overnight.