A netizen posted a property listing on Facebook that was shared in the Facebook group “Indians in Singapore”.
According to the profile the man he is not a local citizen.
In the room rental listing, the man stated that he has taken a flat with his colleague near Changi Business park and is looking for an additional person to take up a common room.
Renting it at $1,600 a month.
The person who exposed the man said: “Since when can foreigners sublet HDB? Look at how much they profit? $1600 for a common room!”
Is it legal to sublet private property in Singapore?
Illegal subletting refers to subletting without the landlord’s approval. In Singapore, if the tenant is renting a HDB apartment, the flat owner is required by HDB rules to ensure that the flat is not sublet to others.
If you want to sublet your property as a tenant, you must get your landlord’s permission.
However, this can be difficult because subletting a property usually means more people are living in the landlord’s home, increasing the chances of disputes.
To avoid this, most tenancy agreements have a clause that prohibits subletting. However, there may be times when you need to sublet your property, such as when your financial situation changes or you need to go abroad for an extended period of time.
In these cases, you may be able to negotiate with your landlord to amend the agreement during the recontracting period, especially if your lease is coming to an end.
Netizens who saw the post said:
- illegal.. probably owner does not know these people are subletting the other bedroom. However once HDB investigate, owner will be fined, not FT tenants because it is the owner duty to check whoever living inside the unit. Forward this to HDB, believe they can check
- That’s the reason we call FT the pay they take not enough sublet a room carry a big back behind the back with cook food like curd rice ,lemon rice,tomato rice and sambar rice we should learn from them
- Let owner know of the illegal sublet if not hdb take back u it at owner loss
- This is how FT survive we pay our loan for 30 years
- Hdb should take action against tenant who sublet rooms which is not suppose to be.