Am currently dating a girlfriend who is pretty wealth-off while I come from a humble family where both my parents work hard to get me to university and to where I am today as a graduate. I am very grateful to them for slogging hard while taking care of me.
So has been with my gf for a couple of years and she has been complaining in front of me about my parents poor financial planning, resulting in not able to sponsor wedding or flat but I just comfort her every time and she has also accept the fact.
So one fine day, we were sharing with my family about our financial planning and some miscommunication occurred and my gf, in the heat of the convo, tell my parents she doesn’t want to be like them to be poor after working their whole life… my parents handled it really well and stop the convo and went out for their dinner.
I think it’s fine if we complain in front of me but to say in front of my parents, I think that’s a little rude to be doing to the elderly generation.
- Your family is not rich in wealth but rich in upbringing and manners. good for you that you are mindful and sensitive to your parents’ feelings.
- If my girlfriend said that to my parents, she would get a stone cold stunner from me before I demote her to ex-girlfriend.
- Wealthy financially but very poor mindset if she expects money to come from either parents for your own wedding
Spend within your means as a couple, not just for the wedding but also housing, car, holiday choices etc
If she is not aligned, life will be more complicated in future about expectations and about waiting for money to parachute from parents
This personality of blaming and having low EQ, is it consistent? Is this someone you can help improve? Know what you are getting into before committing
- Dude red flag. Get out while you can, this story does not end well.
- If she cannot respect you and your family what good is there?
Likely this is gonna continue for a long time. It’s ingrained in the perception and mindset. Good luck my friend.
- If u get on a plane and u see signs of engine issues, would you still allow the plane to take off? All the best!