A netizen shared how her boyfriend’s mother is very involved in their relationship and wants to be a part of everything they do, tagging along to their dates and even getting jealous when her son buys gifts for his girlfriend.
Here is the story:
“Seeking advice over bf’s mum who is too involved in our relationship.
I’m have been in a relationship with my 1st bf for about 4 years now. We used to have a lot of arguments and his mum would often be involved in it, to help us resolve issues.
Initially, I was grateful because someone was there to guide me through the tough times, but I realised after a while that she was way too involved in our relationship, even after it has stabilised. We have both grown out of the rocky phase and are now working hard for our future. For instance:
1. When I am talking to him in person, she would come over and ask what we are talking about
2. Sometimes when we want to go out on dates, she will get angry (We hardly go out on dates btw, only 1-2 times a month)
3. Threatening my bf that she will tell my parents about my secrets
4. Getting angry whenever we say no to her
5. Tagging along sometimes when we want to go out
6. When my bf buys me drinks or gifts, she would want them too, otherwise she might get jealous.
I love his mum, she’s very nice to me and my family. I appreciate all that she has done. But I just feel like this is a private relationship between my bf and I, and I’m also really scared to tell her how I feel.
My bf does not help me speak up to his mum and I wouldn’t want it as well as I don’t want their relationship to be strained because of me. Very often I would cry over the small things she does because I’m very stressed out about this and there’s nothing I can do.
She has told me about how her sons will always choose her and that she has the ability to break “us” up. (she said that indirectly though).
Please be nice in the comments and I really just wanna rant this out because I’m feeling really sad.”
Editor’s note: Let your feelings be known to her and at the same time give your boyfriend an ultimatum, tell him to speak up for you.