Respect is earned, not given
I hate the idea that you have to give more respect and preference to someone just because they are an old person.
Literally being older doesn’t make you any holier, you can just be as stupid and annoying as someone who’s younger than you.
Either earn your respect or learn to live without it, I’m not gonna praise you or bow down to you just because you are older than me. Doesn’t make you any better.
- This old person (not too old) agrees. Take my upvote. Respect is earned. Had plenty of encounters with older ppl who thought they were entitled just for being older. They equated age wirh respect.
Personally, I give people respect off the bat but my respect for them can go up or down based upon their actions and so forth. Once my respect for them goes down to 0, it’s over. It’s as if they no longer exist. But that’s just me. Everyone is diff. GL OP.
- Nothing proves this more than when you work in a retail setting, service industry, or even some healthcare jobs. Older people are entitled and disrespectful. They expect everyone to drop everything, just so they can spew ignorance and hate.
- This is backwards and what I feel is very wrong with our world. Everyone should be given basic respect, until they proove they don’t deserve it. Without basic respect for our fellow citizens our world will continue to decline in civility
- I hate it when people say this. Respect is the default everyone gets treated with respect and when they don’t return the respect you stop giving it.
- It reminds me of that quote, “Respect is like money, it’s better to earn it, not to ask for it” (or something like that)