Smoke breaks for non smokers
I’m a non smoker & I now work with a lot of smokers. Guess who is always stuck not getting these extra breaks? me.
Im in training so When I need help, they’re always outside. I wouldn’t mind if it was equal but it’s not. Maybe I’ll go on a lonely outdoor break & watch them lose their minds. I can’t actually join them because I’m allergic to cigarette smoke. I’m just so sick of this double standard.
- I worked in an office like this. I would announce I was “going out on a smoke break”, take a walk and get a snack. This took about the same time all of the smokers took for a smoke break. Because I phrased it as going on a smoke break nobody dared challenge me.
- At one former job of mine, we were allowed two fifteen minute breaks per day. Smokers however, would take smoke breaks every twenty minutes or so. They probably put in maybe 10 actual minutes of work in a given hour– 15 tops.
- I worked in a warehouse, everyone I worked with would go out to the smoking area and have a smoke, then another would join and they would talk, and light up another one and so on… after about a month I started following them and going outside and standing around and talking as they did I just didn’t smoke, The manager who smoked and was often out there questioned why I was out there and I flat out said if you’re on break I’m on break. He never said another word.
- As a smoker, I tell all the new hires to just tell management they’re going for a smoke break. Everybody deserves a few minutes outside. You don’t need to smoke, go out there and eat carrot sticks and watch the clouds. But if they’ll give me 5 minutes, no reason they can’t give it to the non-smokers, too.
- I’ve seen plenty of stories of people who buy a single pack and just lean against the building holding the unlit cigarette as a “smoke break”
- I was the only non-smoker in my department at work and my boss INSISTED I take extra breaks to level out my co workers smoke breaks. He wanted me to outside at first with them, but when I told him I got sick from the smell he told me I could just chill in the back.
If you don’t have a boss that respects this I wouldn’t respect the boss.