Yesterday I had a job interview scheduled. Went in pretty well dressed and felt good about myself. The interviewer was a middle aged guy, who said he was a pretty recent hire himself and I was one of his first interviews.
He was pretty chill and the interview went well, until the end. He was all smiles and shook my hand and looked me in the eyes saying “hopefully we will welcome you into our family here at company name ” and I replied “I can’t wait to get a new daddy and mommy” and let out a slight chuckle.
His smile turned into a weird frown and he almost looked at me with disgust. He let out a “laugh”, but it was really awkward. It was a joke but it fell so flat and made things so weird I just started stuttering and tried to finish things really quickly and left.
I couldn’t even open the door properly and the interviewer just stood there watching me struggling to leave.
I’m yet to hear back about this job position and I don’t think I will.
Here are what netizens think:
- Why on Earth would you say that??? Also, at least you didn’t blow your interviewer. Would’ve ended really differently.
- The interviewee it could come off very differently. If they are very young, like early-mid 20s then it’s a lot less weird than if they’re old.
- He didn’t say step-mommy or step-daddy.
- I think it was a very poorly executed attempt at a joke playing on the “family” comment from the interviewer, which in itself is a weird comment that more people should recognize as a red flag as an interviewee.Depending on the age of the interviewee it could come off very differently. If they are very young, like early-mid 20s then it’s a lot less weird than if they’re old.
- Email the interviewer and thank them for their time. Also mention you were nervous during the interview and that you are really excited about the job.