In the early morning of November 18th, a seemingly routine commute turned into a social media spectacle. A group of 13 cyclists took to Seletar North Link, capturing attention by occupying not one but two lanes.
The drama unfolded as they boldly ignored the beckoning red traffic lights, sparking a wave of backlash and raising questions about road etiquette.
Kings of the Road
Seletar North Link, a typically tranquil road, witnessed this spectacle at 7:45 am. The incident’s timing during rush hour intensified its impact on both commuters and pedestrians.
A significant number of 13 cyclists participated, inadvertently causing a disruption with their sheer presence as they took over two of the three lanes on the road.
A striking element of the incident was the blatant disregard for traffic signals, with the cyclists pedaling on despite the red light warning.
A pedestrian who was trying to cross the road at the time, was seen raising his hands disapprovingly at the errant cyclists.
LTA’s rules on road cycling
- Always ride as close as practicable to the far left edge of roads, and allow traffic to overtake you safely
- Cycle in a single file on single-lane roads and during bus lane operational hours1
- Switch on front white and rear red light2 in the dark
- Always use bicycle lanes when available3, and do not use any other part of the roadway
- [From 1 Jan 2022] Keep to a maximum length of 5 bicycles when riding in groups, which means a maximum of 5 cyclists if riding in single file, or 10 cyclists if riding two abreast4,5
- They will say beating red light is safer for them in this case. They always got 1001 excuses to justify their actions.
- Should send more enforcement officer to catch them, fine and confiscated their bike like last time catching those pma electric bike If seen them on the pavement or on the road and there is really improvements seen.
Did it once and can did it twice.
- These are by far the most annoying ppl in my EVERYDAY life.. 24/7 cyclist on the road at Seletar West Camp road. Bus stops as their R&R spots, my company as a viewing/instagram spots for sunset /sunrise and close up to our aircraft..