I’m working for a financial institution (I can’t name it as I might lose my job) in Singapore as a loan officer and I would like to share my story working there.
Imagine most people would only go into debt and take a loan for the most legit and proper reasons like buying a car, buying a home or a business loan.
But I have encountered some weirdos while working and here is some of them. I wished people could grow a brain before they come in to waste my time.
Top 5 weird reasons people take a loan:
- A man who was not able to secure much of a personal loan appealed to me and asked for more, his reason:
“I want to take more loan so i can return to loan shark”.
- A woman came in for a personal loan and said: “I need the money to do plastic surgery for my boyfriend”.
- A couple: “We would like to take a loan so we can afford our dream holiday to Paris for a month”
Me: A month, Don’t you have to work?
couple: “don’t worry we just lost our jobs”
- An old auntie: “I want to take a loan to buy a massage chair”
Me: “Auntie, you want to buy a massage chair you take instalments not a loan”
Auntie: “My credit card maxed out”
- An uncle: “I need to invest in something”
Me: What thing?
uncle: “I need to double my investments as I recently lost my investment.
Me: What did you invest?
uncle: “Its a highly profitable business”
Me: Can you tell me exactly the nature of the business?
uncle: “I need it to go MBS”
I know financial institutes will allow these potential “customers” to see a loan officer but many of them are a complete waste of time.