A man in China, Ning, ordered 2 takeaway hotpots for himself and his colleague who were working overtime, according to Hong Xing Xin Wen.
He was reluctant to eat it at first because the colours of the soups on the two hotpots looked different, with one being darker than the other.
However, they decided to just enjoy the food – but halfway through eating, Ning then “kiap-ed” what he thought was a piece of beef.
He noticed that the “beef” was unusually huge, and wanted to cut the huge piece of “beef into smaller pieces for easier eating.
However, the group then realised that the piece of beef was actually a used washcloth, with two of his colleagues then immediately vomiting.
He then called the restaurant about the incident, and they admitted that they had accidentally dropped the washcloth into the hotpot.
The restaurant offered him compensation worth 3 times the original bill, but Ning declined and said that he wanted the government to intervene and investigate the incident.
South China Morning Post reported that a restaurant manager blamed the careless mistake on a 19-year-old junior employee, who had just started working while he had a fever during the preparation of the dish.
He has since been fired by the restaurant.