I’ve been “working” at a job for 7 months with no boss and no work to do.
This is happening to me right now. I was hired in October for one of the biggest property companies and the person that hired me, her position was eliminated the week before I started.
I was brought around the office by someone from a different department. I’ve been sitting in an office behind the fired lady’s office all alone for months. Doing literally nothing.
I’ve asked around, I’ve emailed people. NOTHING. I show up 3 days a week, “work” from home 2 days a week; and get paid every Friday.
I haven’t said a word to anyone in months. I’m riding the wave till it crests. I don’t know how it’s possible that no one gives me any assignments or even really emails me and yet here I am.
I’ve been sending emails with excel reports twice a week of the employees from our department we pay. Takes me about ten minutes. That’s really all I do.
EDIT: to answer frequent questions
- I make just under six figures
- I go in because the job was setup as 3 days in office, two days remote. There’s a badge swipe system and I don’t want to be fired for lack of attendance if they check the swipes. Job is only about 10 minutes from my house.
- I contact my dept head twice a week with spreadsheets on our department payroll. That’s all I do and it takes about 15 minutes a week. I BCC the office coordinator on these emails.
- I’m being intentionally vague about what my job is and no I will not tell you and no, I will not hire you.
- I had a job like this once when I was a student, 6 months of receiving a minuscule but free salary. Those were the days.
- I am in a similar situation. I spend most of my day looking for things to do (I started in Aug 22 and the job is 90% remote; We go the office 2x per month)
Sure, I communicate with my coworkers via email/teams but I have yet to receive any outside communication from any customers or clients. The only person that ever calls my extension is my boss.
It’s an extremely slow industry. They have been promising me new accounts for months but somehow, I just get forgotten about until I have my monthly review/1-on-1 with my boss (which I just had; He thanked me for all of my hard work (???) and assured me that I would be assigned to some new accounts very soon. Yeah. Let’s check in next month. Meanwhile, I’m just online all day, watching the world burn.
- Just one question. Are they hiring? I can have my resume to you pretty quickly…
- I had a somewhat similar experience.
I applied for an entry level job in an investment firm start up. They hired me (didn’t sign anything) gave me a new laptop and told me to expect a call for training/integration to their system. It’s been 4 years now, so I wiped the laptop and still sometimes use it.