$4 red packets
What do you all think about receiving red packets with $4 inside? Would you think it’s inauspicious or insulting?
My finances aren’t great this year and $4 seems to be the best I can do, but I’m afraid it would offend some people.
- yeah, in chinese culture ‘4’ is probably the most unpropitious number so yeah its even better to not give it at all. after all the whole angpao thing and lunar new year are mostly chinese tradition so yeah its better to respect that
if u only want to give some 2 note, then choose ‘6’ or ‘8’, which shouldnt add too much financial burden
- Give $8 but to only half the people you usually give to. The closest ones.
Completely sit out any other gatherings with less “important” people/relatives. If you want a legit reason to skip a gathering or leave early, I chia you 1 x McSpicy Double with XL Milo 30-60 mins before the gathering.
- Just give within your means.
I have been receiving $4 angbao since the day I was born. It doesn’t really matter. If I suppose to die, due to the inauspicious numbers I would have died as an infant since the year I was born.
- Just give 2, they will understand.
If your relation with your relatives is strained over how much their children receive for Ang pow, you might want to reconsider your relationship with them haha
- I think the alternative way to look at it is a pair of $2s. I received $4 as a kid from parents’ acquaintances and no one thought it was a slight.
- If finances are tight to the extent that you can’t afford it, why not simply just stay home and make an excuse that you’re not feeling too great?
Or if you’re like those people who rather dodge CNY, just take a day trip to JB? Or claim that you have to go out of country for work?
Just get your family members to make excuses for you if needed.
- $4 is double $2 ma.. I’ve already not cared and just give within means.. no point thinking of the way ppl look at you especially those u see once a year, it’s more important that my own family have enough for survival than having face.
I’m waiting for someone to kickstart the no give Ang Pao trend, it’s stupid to give away a big portion of your bonus where you can use it for your family or even as a mean for survival for those not well to do.
Totally already defeated the purpose of giving Ang Pao. Should just give to kids and parents and no one else.
And yes I’m giving $4!