Some project managers are just too much!
Got one IT project manager, always like to nickpick on the details, explained to him liao he also don’t understand, then when we face difficulties in executing some of the minute tasks, he will keep nagging why we are unable to resolve them/why we didn’t foresee them.
Then hold 6-8 meetings throughout the week to catch up on the status and every meeting stretch over an hour. Really time consuming and we can’t get any work done.
I put my foot down and told him that I only need to give him the overview pointers, the rest of the details is up to me to decide, and he shouldn’t be bothered with them.
Do you have such ngiao chee ngiao lan PM at your work place?
- You don’t have to accept all the meetings. I skip some meetings in my current job because either I don’t have anything to contribute or I don’t see any value in the agenda.
- (OP) i skipped once and he grumble to my management and whine about my lack of participation.
- That’s their job, to look busy. You cannot tell them not to look busy when their rice bowl depends on it.
They are always the first to go in any layoffs, exactly because it really doesn’t make a difference whether they are there or not.
- Take it up with your boss, if the excessive meetings are hurting your productivity, it needs to stop. Can’t let some incompetent pm screw the ones doing the actual work and cause everything to be delayed.
- Sad you didn’t get a hands on project manager. There are project managers out there who row the boat with their down line. This guy sounds like he just applied for the role on those generic job websites.
- If PM is just task master without adding value, that sucks and most PM’s are like that. If one wants to grow in PM area, got to understand industry and be hands on more than just making few slides for status, risks, and challenges. Edit: i am a program manager and oversee Project Managers.
- Their favorite way to make everyone busy and himself look busy: daily updates meeting