I work for a local SME in the consumer electronics industry.
So in recent weeks, my boss was not very happy with my team’s performance (my team consists of me and a part timer who works half day) and we are handling warranty issues for a certain consumer electronics.
I am extremely overworked and overwhelmed at work. I did explain to my Boss and manager that we are short on staff and need one more full time staff for daily operations, they agreed to hire one more.
The thing is my manager has been badmouthing me to my boss in recent weeks and yesterday after I left work at 7pm, my manager PRETENDED to work on my stuff till 11pm+. Today I came to office and my boss immediately scolded me about pushing my work to my manager to do.
I checked all the files and the system, the thing is my manager DID NOTHING yesterday. I don’t know what she was doing till 11pm but she did not follow up with my customers, she didn’t help me update my warranty, she did not order and spare parts for me. I checked everywhere she literally DID NOTHING.
And quite frankly this manager has been doing absolutely nothing all day, she has been with this company for 10 over years.
I really need advice about where do I go about from here, quitting is not an option for me right now. But I just feel so angry that this manager pretended to help me with my work till 11pm and she basically did nothing and I got scolded by my Boss because of it.
TLDR; I work in SME, Manager pretended to do my work till 11pm yesterday but she did nothing, now I got scolded by my Boss for pushing my work.
- Isn’t there evidence as to who’s doing the work? Show this to the big boss and don’t take the scolding lying down. Otherwise look for other opportunities.
- Show evidence to your boss that your manager did nothing till 11pm. Probably nothing will change then you know it’s really time to quit liao.
- Why is quitting not an option for you? The moment quitting is not an option for you, you effectively handed power over to your company to use and mistreat you. You can’t blame anyone but yourself for the abuse you’ve been getting because you decided that quitting is not an option for you. What are you? Indentured slave?
- Unless you’re hired as management yourself, it’s hard to beat a 10yr survivor in the company. Her behaviour is representative of company culture. So what if you complain and what’s the best that can happen in your dreams? She gets fired. Then her boss will end up having more (delegation) work on his plate or hire another shitty manager in her place. Don’t try to be a hero unless it’s your father’s company.
- Start looking for work, it is a toxic company and I don’t see growth. Once you secure work, light it up and show all the “work” that was undone to the boss.