The evening commute turned eventful for passengers on board an east-bound train as they were unexpectedly forced to disembark at City Hall MRT station on Thursday night.
What caused this disruption? The train’s cabin was engulfed in white smoke, creating a chaotic scene and causing concerns among commuters.
The Mysterious Smoke
According to The Straits Times, the incident occurred at approximately 9.50 pm, just as commuters were settling in for their journey home. The cause of this unexpected disruption was traced back to a refrigerant gas leak from the air-conditioning system of the first-generation train, which has faithfully served passengers since 1987.
The revelation came from SMRT Trains president, Lam Sheau Kai, who responded to inquiries from The Straits Times.
The sight of white smoke filling the train’s cabins was undoubtedly a cause for concern. Passengers, taken aback by the situation, began to cover their mouths and noses as the smoke enveloped the interior of the train.
In situations like these, safety must always take precedence. SMRT Trains quickly assessed the situation and made the decision to evacuate passengers from the affected train as a precautionary measure. Passengers were advised to disembark and board the next available train.
Mr. Lam Sheau Kai, in his statement, emphasized the paramount importance of passenger safety. Fortunately, no reports were received regarding commuters requiring medical attention.
A Glimpse of the Chaos
Footage of the incident quickly made its way online, with a social media post capturing the tense moments on the train.
The video shows passengers covering their mouths and noses as they attempt to cope with the unexpected situation.
In the 33-second clip, an SMRT Trains staff member can be seen checking each cabin, ensuring that all passengers safely disembarked the train and entered the station.