A Malaysian influencer and activist has come under heavy criticism online after tossing chocolates into the sea during a humanitarian mission bound for Gaza, prompting concerns over marine pollution and performative activism.
The activist, identified as Muhammad Hareez Adzrami, also known online as Haroqs, later issued a public apology after the video sparked backlash across social media platforms.
The incident reportedly took place while he was aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, a humanitarian convoy attempting to reach Gaza. In the now-deleted video uploaded on May 18, Haroqs was seen grabbing handfuls of chocolates from a large bag before throwing them into the ocean.
Text displayed on the video claimed the sweets were intended for children in Gaza despite alleged radio communication disruptions faced by the flotilla.
Netizens Slam Video Over Environmental Concerns
The footage quickly spread online after being reposted on Reddit, where many users criticised the move as irresponsible and environmentally damaging.
Several commenters pointed out that throwing packaged chocolates into the sea could contribute to plastic pollution and pose risks to marine life. Others accused the influencer of seeking online attention rather than genuinely helping those affected by the humanitarian crisis.
The controversy also reignited discussions about how social media personalities approach charity-related content, especially when dramatic gestures are involved.
Critics argued that while intentions may have been sympathetic, the execution appeared misguided and counterproductive. Environmental activists also highlighted how waste dumped into oceans can severely impact ecosystems, particularly through plastic packaging and food contamination.
Influencer Says He “Had No Other Way”
Hours after the criticism intensified, Haroqs uploaded an apology acknowledging that his actions were inappropriate.
He admitted that throwing the chocolates into the sea was wrong and openly stated that he understood concerns surrounding pollution.
According to his statement, he believed there were no alternative methods available to deliver the chocolates to children in Gaza under the circumstances faced by the flotilla.
He also remarked that people would likely remain dissatisfied regardless of the method chosen, before expressing hope that the chocolates would somehow still reach the intended recipients.
The apology, however, did little to calm some online critics, with many insisting humanitarian missions should still follow environmental responsibility standards.
Previously Brought Chocolates On Earlier Gaza Mission
This was not Haroqs’ first participation in the flotilla initiative. Reports indicated the 26-year-old had previously joined another Global Sumud Flotilla mission in October 2025.
That earlier mission was reportedly intercepted before reaching its destination. Prior to the interception, Haroqs had shared photos online showing an “emergency bag” filled with chocolates intended for children in Gaza.
In another social media post, he reportedly stated that his chocolate supplies remained untouched despite the failed mission and that he still hoped to distribute them eventually.
As of May 19, Haroqs was said to be among four Malaysians currently aboard 10 vessels participating in GSF 2.0 as they continue their journey towards Gaza.
