Please do not move in with your MIL. I was one of the fools who thought that staying with MIL will be great while waiting for our BTO. My MIL is also a single mother living alone. She did not treat me super well or anything before I stayed with her, but it was cordial. I was excited to move in though. I even paid for some of the renovations she did to her home before i moved in. but once i got married & moved in, she is a different person.
1) i cannot keep any items in the fridge for myself (like bbt) even when the fridge is pretty empty. only my husband can.
2) i bought a toaster and kettle cause she doesn’t have any, but im not allowed to keep it in the kitchen although the kitchen counter and cabinets are empty
3) suddenly i was expected to provide or cook meals for her although i am the one working and going to office. This was not discussed beforehand.
4) she black face and ignore me when i talk to her, i am like invisible. She only talks to my husband.
5) she locked us out of the house whenever we went out. then we need to keep coaxing her to let us go back in.
6) she kept telling my husband (doesnt speak to me remember?) that i should not bring so much stuff to the house (only brought my clothes, skincare and I kept it in our designated room).
Many other things happened too. I cried everyday when i stayed there. My anxiety and depression worsened and suddenly i was on my anxiety medication again. My husband luckily understood me and we moved out less than a week later (yes all of that happened within a few days).
We are definitely happier now, but this experience did damage mine and husband’s relationship especially since we just got married.
4 years later till today i am not able to forgive my MIL although i am trying to for my own sake… (also cause she still treats me like i am invisible today.)
Ok advice/rant over.