seeking wisdom: it’s my first time being invited to wedding and the venue is quite expensive (think 300-odd)… i’m still a student so i would like to ask:
1) must my angbao be able to cover the cost of the seat?
2) if i don’t want to spend that amt, should I not go?
3) how should i reject then?
4) any advice that would help in making a decision!!!
Here are what netizens think:
- Key thing as you mentioned. Just remember that you are still a student. Second, if that friend is truly your friend and knows your current status, what you give will not matter. What matters to him/her is that you attend his/her wedding. If that person is not close to you, it doesn’t matter if you don’t attend. Just my opinion.
- We really need to address this ludicrous expectation that the guest should cover the expense of the wedding. Give whatever amount you can afford or not at all. You’ll know if the couple are friends worth having based on how they react. Or if they are people you barely know, just say you travelling that day and unable to attend. You have zero obligation to attend.
- How much to give is entirely up to you, covering the cost is just a good gesture. If i expect my guest to cover the cost i might as well host the wedding on the moon since cost is basically covered by guest. But please don’t let this distract you from the deal KFC is running at the moment.
- You are not invited to pay for their wedding. Give within your means. If they decide to choose an expensive venue, they should be prepared to top up after the ang pows.