Does a good working environment even exist???
The question is what it is. All the 3 companies I’ve worked at before had bad bosses and poor management while lead to unhealthy workplaces. And based off the experiences from my friends and colleagues, it seems like healthy working environments and good work culture are just modern day myths. Has anyone had a genuinely good working experience anywhere?
Some examples of common bad experiences would be:
- always promising a pay increase/more benefits but never following through
- higher ups not taking responsibility (and always blaming teams for all mistakes)
- bosses and managers gossiping about employees to other employees all while saying that “we’re a family”
- praising people who work OT (and not providing compensation) and therefore expecting others to do the same
- tracking employees’ online activities
- bosses using company money for their own side ventures
- limiting when employees can go on leaves/ expecting employees to work even while on MC
- Good working cultures exist, but you have to keep looking. Personal experience, the list you stated has applied to every locally owned company I’ve worked for, in various degrees. The last one irks me especially. Currently in an MNC, and they’ve kept every promise they made regarding promotions, pay raise and don’t need MC as proof. And when you’re on leave, NOBODY is allowed to bug you for work. It just took me over a decade of work to find this place
- Places with happy employees, their turnover rates are much lower, hence the odds of even having a vacancy for you to apply for is similarly low.
- No workplace is perfect since toxic people are everywhere but I think my workplace is pretty decent, all things considered.
Not only do they not limit when we can go on leave, but we’re actually nagged to clear all our leaves that cannot be carried forward (we can only carry forward 15 days) since any leave forfeitures is considered poor management rather than the reverse.
We don’t do OT. If someone is consistently staying back they get looked at as low performers with difficulties coping with their work load rather than praised for it.
Increments and bonuses are declared annually with clear KPIs for bonuses that are tracked and announced quarterly so there are no unpleasant surprises in that regard.
Gossiping and pushing blame is sadly, still prevalent human nature being what it is, but it’s possible to not take part.