23.9 C
Singapore
Sunday, January 29, 2023
Ads

“WOULD YOU GO FOR A SURGERY WITH 10% SUCCESS RATE, OR SUFFER IN PAIN FOR NEXT 10 YEARS”

Would you go for a surgery with 10% success rate?

Advertisements

Context is a friend with spinal injuries.

If they don’t go for the surgery, they will be in constant pain for the next 2-10 years (doctor’s estimation of remaining lifespan)

If they opt for surgery, there’s a 10% success rate and failure means being wheelchair bound/crippled for life or death. A full recovery considering surgery is successful would take another 10 years.

Would like to get more perspectives on this!

Advertisements

Edit: Just to clarify, due to an accident, bones are currently inching their way into my friend’s spinal nerves. It will eventually paralyze and/or kill them without the surgery, and pain medications & injections are temporary measures. Hope this clarifies!

Netizens’ comments

  1. Very sorry to hear that. Both options tbh sucks but able to share out of /10 the pain your friend is feeling? And it’s a constant pain?
    • (OP) Yeah its a really shitty situation. From what I know, it is constant and feels like your bones are breaking every moment. Only medication and injections would help slightly
  2. Can’t say, but if it were me, considering the poor quality of life even if I can live on for the next 2-10 years sucks, I’ll just gamble.
  3. Personally I would opt for the surgery. Being wheelbound but no/little pain is better than being able to walk+tortured by your back for your remaining time here.
  4. Basically, the question should be: go for a surgery that has a 10% chance of solving the issue but a 90% chance of making it worse, or wait until it inevitably worsens by itself?
    I’d say take the 10% chances. It’s much better than the alternative, which is a recovery probability of 0% and just spend a few more years in pain with no solution afterwards.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
Latest News

15 Y.O BOY SNEAK ON CONTAINER FOR HIDE & SEEK GETS SEND FROM BANGLADESH TO M’SIA

After falling asleep in a shipping container and waking up six days later 2,000 miles away, a 15-year-old kid...
- Advertisement -