I’m a 16 Y.O Singaporean (F) and I’m still attending secondary school and I have a criminal record
Context: Yesterday, my friend and I went to steal clothes at a mall and my friend was caught stealing. (I know it was stupid of us to steal. We learnt from our mistakes)
Of course, like what most managers would do is to call the security and the police. We were both detained and interrogated and we both explained that the reason why we stole. (It was because we couldn’t afford it and felt bad asking our parents for money as we are not born into a financially well family)
We fessed up that we have been doing this for awhile now and are guilty. They asked about our schools and our form teachers name and also told us to pack the things we stole before in a plastic bag and said that they would retrieve it. However they did not show up yesterday after we both went home.
The questions that I have right now is that
- Will this criminal record thing stay with us until we die? If no, how do I clear it and how long will it take?
- Can I still EAE into Polytechnic?
- If I want to work as a part timer, will the manager ask about it? (Correct me if I’m wrong but they would probably ask about it, right?)
- How will the school deal with this? Disciplinary case and stuff? Suspension?
Again, I know that it was foolish of us to commit such acts and we shouldn’t do such a stupid thing. Please don’t lecture us, we were already scolded by our parents (badly) Help us out.
- Did the police bring you back to the police station and formally interrogated you?
Basically what i am asking is – whether a statement was taken and you signed and acknowledged that you gave a statement.
If they only contacted your school and parents, it is likely that they did not formally charge you.
Take it as a lesson learnt and don’t steal again.
Source: am lawyer but not yours so please do not regard this as legal advice just general observations
- Since u all minor won’t have criminal record. Usually they will let u go after warning. Pls don’t do stupid things like stealing.