27.3 C
Monday, October 2, 2023


Earlier today (19 September), a 35-year-old man in Singapore has been sentenced to 21.5 years in jail and 18 strokes of the cane. His crime? He pleaded guilty to the horrifying act of killing his two-and-a-half-year-old daughter and burning her body in a metal pot, according to The Straits Times.


This heart-wrenching case unravels a story of darkness, secrecy, and a young life tragically cut short.

The Veil of Secrecy

The magnitude of this tragedy is amplified by the secrecy that shrouded it. Due to gag orders put in place to protect surviving victims, the convicted man cannot be named, and the wife’s identity remains hidden. Even the location of the crime cannot be revealed.

However, one name shines through the darkness – Umaisyah, the victim’s first name. The judge allowed to let her be known by her name instead of just “the deceased” or “the victim.”

The Charges

The man faced grave charges, pleading guilty to culpable homicide not amounting to murder for causing his daughter’s death and failing to seek medical help for her.


Additionally, he admitted to three other charges, including rioting, ill-treating his stepson, and taking illegal drugs, namely Methamphetamine.

Five other charges were considered during the sentencing. The couple involved has since divorced, adding another layer of complexity to this tragic narrative.

A Troubled Family History

The offender and his wife had a complex family history. They had four children of their own, including the 2.5-year-old victim, Umaisyah, born in 2011; the woman also had two other children from a previous marriage to another man.

Umaisyah’s troubled journey began when she was placed in foster care in November 2011, just three to four months after her birth. Her father’s drug rehabilitation and her mother’s inability to care for her led to this decision.

A Child Unfamiliar with Her Parents

In June 2013, after spending 1.5 years in foster care, Umaisyah was returned to her parents. By this time, she had not yet turned two years old.


Tragically, she found herself in an unfamiliar environment, often crying as her parents were no longer familiar to her. The prosecution revealed that she had already spent a significant portion of her young life in foster care.

Umaisyah’s life took a harrowing turn when she was subjected to ill treatment at the hands of her own parents. Her father resorted to using a belt or a hanger to discipline her, even punching her thigh and pinching her body. Shockingly, their other children suffered the same fate, creating an environment of perpetual fear and pain.

The Tragic End

The darkest chapter unfolded in March 2014. Umaisyah soiled her diaper and played with her faeces. In response, her angry mother slapped her cheeks and “flicked her lips,” according to the prosecution.

The father, under the influence of methamphetamine, forcefully slapped his daughter multiple times. This brutal assault resulted in a traumatic brain injury and a concussive brain seizure for the little girl.

The little girl became weak and sat down on the floor, as she stopped crying and gasped for air, with blood and liquid also seen on her facial orifices (nose and mouth).

The man tried to perform CPR on the girl but she was still unresponsive.

A Desperate Plea for Help Ignored

Despite the severity of Umaisyah’s condition, her parents did not seek medical assistance. Fear of arrest and the consequences of the father’s drug use overshadowed their parental instincts. Tragically, medical care could have saved the young girl’s life, but it was never sought.

The couple went to great lengths to conceal their horrific crime. They destroyed evidence, lied to authorities, and misled family members about Umaisyah’s whereabouts.

After her death, they placed her body in a metal pot and set it on fire in the back of their vehicle, ensuring her body was fully burnt. The pot was then sealed, wrapped in cling wrap, and hidden under their kitchen stove in their flat.

Unraveling the Truth

In 2017, the Ministry of Education inquired about Umaisyah’s absence from school registration. The mother fabricated a story, claiming her estranged husband had taken the child to Malaysia.


Suspicions grew when Umaisyah’s uncle noticed the mysterious box in their flat, containing the remains of the young girl.

Umaisyah’s uncle decided to investigate further. Upon opening the box, he discovered the decomposed and wet remains, which were burned beyond recognition.

Shocked and horrified, he shared his discovery with his sister’s friends, who promptly reported it to the police. This discovery, more than five years after the girl’s death, finally brought the truth to light.

Following the discovery, authorities only managed to uncover her small bones and a tooth; none of her facial features or hands or feet could be identified.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
Latest News


A few weeks ago, I was out with a friend to drink and unwind along Haji Lane and found...
- Advertisement -