The Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) announced in a press release that the court proceedings against seven Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) personnel, relating to the death of NSF Corporal First Class (CFC) Dave Lee, have been completed.
Earlier this year, SAF Captain Tan Baoshu, who was the Officer Commanding in charge of CFC Lee’s company, was charged for his role in Lee’s death but was granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal as he was unfortunately diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer; Captain Tan subsequently passed away on February 13.
The Singapore Police Force referred the six other servicemen to MINDEF for investigations, to look into potential breaches of military law; and they were charge in military court on February 20, 2020.
All six of them pleaded guilty and were convicted and sentenced by the Subordinate Military Court:
- 2nd Sergeant Koh Ren Zhong was convicted of one charge of negligent performance of a lawful duty under Section 17(2) of the SAF Act, and was sentenced to a fine of S$1,800.
- Corporal (NS) Tan Jin Yang was convicted of two charges of negligent acts endangering life under Section 41(b) of the SAF Act, and was sentenced to a fine of S$4,500 in respect of both charges.
- 1st Sergeant Chia Zhi Xuan was convicted of one charge of disobedience of general orders under Section 21 of the SAF Act, and was sentenced to a fine of S$2,500.
- Corporal (NS) Chng Pheng Heng, Corporal (NS) Jonas Ang Kai Jie and Corporal (NS) Yep Ren Jie were each convicted of one charge of disobedience of general orders under Section 21 of the SAF Act and one charge of abuse of authority under Section 29 of the SAF Act.
- They were each demoted from the rank of 3rd Sergeant (NS) to the rank of Corporal (NS), and fined $2,500.
Image sources: Mindef & Jasmine Yeo H L Facebook