I’m going to be fired on Monday.
I run a small bar and I’m made to decide everything except pay lol. I have a general manager who works on average 10 hours per week.
I have an owner who I’ve never seen do a single thing other than drink beer by the gallon. Sometimes the tips are even good enough that I don’t complain about being paid $6 dollars an hour.
I now find out we are closed every Monday and Tuesday for spring cleaning. By the staff. For $6 dollars an hour. For 10 hours. For two days!
Myself and the other night bartender have said absolutely not, and we have been told we will be terminated if we do not show.
On the bright side this has given me a week to job hunt, and boy is there a lot of opportunities out there right now.
I’ve already had two interviews and have another two tomorrow. One of them during the hours I am scheduled to work. Wouldn’t you know it, I think I feel a sickness coming on.
- tell them that if they fire you then you will not come to work anymore
- Cleaning is difficult. Why would they underpay?
- Guess he’ll be having fun doing that cleaning himself, or paying a professional 10x that amount to do it.
- be straight up honest. Tell them you have interviews and that the current pay is simply just not worth your time anymore. If you’re gonna get fired for not cleaning don’t bother making an excuse to please them lol
- Go and sit around. Bring a feather duster and casually use it. If you don’t show they could just say that “you quit”. Go and make them fire you.
This is an excellent example of how working people can do very well when they reach out to see what‘s out there, rather than simply endure.
Don’t be afraid to pick up your labour and sell it to someone else when the market allows… such as right now in many places.