I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m 24F, and my mum recently passed. My younger siblings are in school and so am I.
Recently, my father has become worryingly overzealous over little things. For example, yelling if I hand a pen that hasn’t been ‘clicked’ open. Scrubbing the mop after its been used.
Waking us at odd hours asking why our room is messy etc. I’ve asked some family members to step in; and for him to consider counseling. He didn’t take it well and said some very hurtful things. It’s devastating to see him spiraling.
But I really don’t know what to do anymore. People keep saying that he needs time but how can they be so sure?
Here are what netizens think:
- People can be so sure because they’ve been through the same thing. I did as well.But having said that, everyone reacts differently and perhaps like what others have said, it doesn’t hurt to show your dad more concern every now and then.I personally don’t think he needs counselling but perhaps for you and your siblings to step up abit more.
- This is a great trauma and stress to your dad. He is trying his best to take up mum position at this grief moment. Time to speak to him in peace moment and help your dad to take up the position. It’s tough but it’s life. Jia you
- He must be hurting a lot inside. After spending 30 years or so with a person it must be hard to let go suddenly. Give him more time, support, and patience.
- Try hugging him. Don’t say anything when he does those overzealous stuff, just hug him tight.And let him know as much as you can, you love him, that it’s ok for him to be in pain, and that he is enough.
- He is trying his best to take a mothers duty. Sit down with him and say nicely that u appreciate his effort but maybe he can tone down abit as u n ur siblings also understand what ur family been through.
- He is suffering from anxiety after losing his long-time support. Just show him more love and compassion for faster healing.