Adult working child still living with elderly parent
My adult son, +40 years old, having a good job in a very large corporation, drawing a pretty good salary, refuses to move out. Also, not married.
We are living in a 5 room flat, which I feel is too big for just the 2 of us. I have planned to down size to a 3 Br or 4 br directly from HDB to be practical, and capitalise on the capital gain.
The problem is he is against this.
I feel that he has been trying to micro manage my life. This has been going on for year, and I feel that its time I put my foot down.
Should I feel bad for forcing him out if he is not agreeable to my plan a d desire..?
Here are what netizens think:
- My personal view is if you chase him out now, next time he will not u turn back if you are sick. Good to have children ard you unless children married.
- Your house. Your rules. Your decision. He not happy, he can leave. It’s about time he be independent. He is too damn old to still be staying with mommy.
- Do you really feel bad or it seems the logical way to feel? Personal experience here. I told my son I want to live alone when he’s 28. Deep within, it’s really painful for me. I spent time to forgive myself for this decision but I really want to take my life back. End day, it’s how you come to terms with your decision. Wish you well.
- You have to ask yourself whether you have treated your son this way since he was a child. Perhaps, this is his way of returning the treatment. However, should you force him out of your home instead of downgrading and giving him a space, then don’t call him any names when he decides he’s done with his parents too.
- Weird also…. Hardly see parent want to chase child out. Later son move out alr, u want him to come back more often. Only the 2 of u….Even downsize to 3 room hdb also still got room for him to stay isn’t it? But he don’t have the right to disagree w your housing plans…
- Your son is co owner of the house? If no, just inform him u intend to sell the house. Give him time to move out or buy resale. Dont guess or assume. U wanna to know why he doesnt want u to sell the house, u sit down n talk to him and ask him whats the reason?