Partner’s financial decisions
I have been in an LDR for almost a year now. He’s quite an emotional guy who’s had some personal trauma in the past and I just want to be there for him as much as possible.
However, my mum has been taking issue with the fact that now that the borders are open, he keeps flying back from his studies in the USA even during the semester to see me or asks me to come over and visit him.
He also spends a lot on gifts for other people, including my family, but isn’t that better than being selfish like my ex?
Neither of us are rich, I know the older generation cares about financial stability but in this day and age, aren’t happiness and validation also important?
Is my mum right that he’s reckless/borderline clingy and that I’m not helping it, or is she just outdated and naggy?
Here are what netizens think:
- Your mother has a point here. If both of you are planning a future together, he should be visiting you during the holidays and also saving money on gifts if he’s not working part-time overseas.
- Both are right. It’s one thing to be generous but stupid to spend recklessly and not save for your own future. I salute you for being there for another human being but honestly, clingy people have their own baggage to sort out and one day you may just get so tired of it and there will be another post about why it’s always about them, them, them? I guess at the end of the day the only question that matters is – Does this relationship make you happy and is there a realistic future?
- Always listen to your mother.
- I think the cling is not only borderline
- can you pay for your wedding, future kids and BTO flat with validation?