Is anyone else in Computer Science worried about the tech layoffs and how it will affect our livelihoods after we graduate?
I’ve been reading the #metalayoffs on linkedin lately and many of their stories are so heartbreaking. Though strangely, I don’t see many software engineers among those laid off, who seem to be made of recruiters, managers, data scientists, researchers etc.
Her are what netizens think:
- Still *a lot* of SWE jobs at this present moment. A lot of people are v happy about the layoffs and are actively trying to hire the FB engineers being laid off, which included a number of my ex-students. Ironically, a small number of them are quite happy about being laid off ‘cos they were planning to leave their jobs but dilly dally. Now all of a sudden got severance pay for no reason.
- My ex-students who got laid off are a bit shocked but none of them are particularly worried about not being able to land the next job. The layoffs were apparently quite random because they were by product and not on merit. There’s actually a list floating out there on all the FB folks being laid off. One of my ex-students complained that he got approached by 6 recruiters already.
- Maybe the situation might get worse later, but SWE jobs are still abundant. That said, these jobs probably won’t pay as much as FB, except maybe ByteDance, which I was told is actively trying to scoop up all the FB engineers who were laid off.
- Seems to me like more than half the talent acquisition team in SG got laid off.
- Afaik most company do hiring freeze so good luck.
- There is no jobs for everybody so some will stay unemployed for a while