Have lived in Singapore for seven years now and experienced something earlier this morning that came as a shock.
My toddler daughter and I were sitting at the bus stop out front of where we live along River Valley road and along came a man who began hurling verbal abuse at two Filipinas sitting next to us.
Words used included sluts, whores etc. He also pointed to the singlet he was wearing over a shirt which he had scribbled such words all over it with a marker.
Without thinking, I stood up and confronted him and told him to beat it (not so politely, mind you). This was personal, as my wife is Filipina, though anyone acting in such a way should be called out!
He continued to yell out racial and condescending slurs as he walked away.
This guy was tall and lanky, in his 50s or 60’s, long-ish grey beard and of Indian appearance. Has anyone encountered him before?
Should I be lodging some sort of report to the police?
- Local here. Thanks for standing up against such incidents. You can try police report, but it be reasonable to expect that nothing can be done, especially when there’s no video evidence.
- Yes please do make a report, the next time it may be kids or more vulnerable people affected
- Clearly mentally ill. Yes you can make a report if you think he might be a danger to himself or others.
- Thank you for taking a stand against racism. Please proceed to report this incident to the authorities if you deem it necessary.
From personal experience, if the offender is mentally unsound, the authorities may just tell him/her to stop bothering the public.
- The guy is siao Lang la… Don’t bother.
- OP please make a police report. At the bare minimum there is a record of the incident and if it continues regularly, there will be enough to warrant the police doing something about it in time.