Stop being passive aggressive in emails
Got in trouble about a year ago for supposedly being “Passive aggressive” in emails
How? Well i simply sign off the end of the email “Kind Regards” and my name most of the time as is professional
Well this changed during one long boring email thread with a supervisor were it started as Kind Regards, Ended up as “Regards” to being nothing, Not even my name by the end of it (My outlook didnt have this automated at the time)
I got pulled up on email etiquette by my manager over this and they got HR involved as they deemed I had an attitude over it. The solution? They put my outlook to automatically attach Kind Regards, My name + company signature at bottom of all my emails and policy locked me out of it so i cannot change it.
The best bit, We recently got new iPhones and the outlook on there has no enforced signature attachment so im back to it! Waiting to see how long before a manager pulls another power trip on me
- Even if they do that shit again you can put a disclaimer in the message to ignore the automated footer as those opinions are not necessarily yours.
- It’s such a minefield with how e-mail send offs are perceived. I always over egg so not to face the wrath of someone being sad that I didn’t add enough smileys.
One note though. We don’t capitalize the R in regards. It should be ‘Kind regards’.
- Sounds awfully petty and controlling of them.
- Avoid using email for these kinds of conversations. Talk face to face or by phone
- (OP) Now this is where my job is annoying. I have previously been screwed for not having something in writing. The same manager who tried to shaft me here has his own rules. If its not written down, it didn’t happen. You have to have things written down or your getting thrown under a bus if anything does go wrong with a job your handling. It is a blame culture