I graduated a year ago and have a full time job earning about 4k/mth.
I’ve been working since uni to support myself and hardly asked my family for money. But since I started working, my family asked me for about 1.2k/mth as allowance.
It’s not that I can’t spare the cash since I’m quite frugal but I’m just tired of how they will remind/ chase me for the money if I’m late. I don’t know what’s their obsession with the money.
When I bring up my financial situation, they will say they also don’t have money and that I should just give. In the end, I’ll just pay to avoid the arguments and drama. This is too exhausting.
Thanks for listening to the rant.
Here are what netizens think:
- On the other hand, my mom: Eh why you give me money? No need la, I got enough, you keep for yourself. Eat better food. Don’t eat Maggi ah.
- You do not owe your parents anything. They chose to bring you into this world and their failure to plan for their own expenses is their own fault. Give what you CAN and what you WANT to.
- This is those typical give birth to kids and expect them to help retire. If they didn’t work hard when they were young then they can’t blame anyone for not being able to retire.
- For $1200 a month you can rent a room elsewhere and not have to support parents who decided to use their children as a retirement fund.
- I am a parent with 4 working adults.I don’t ask and they don’t give.They don’t ask me money,I consider myself very lucky
- Set up Giro. Standing instructions. Auto deduct. Auto transfer. Spare yourself the pain, save yourself the trouble of this conversation that will trigger you monthly. Period. Well. Pun intended. Period is also monthly (and pain).