Is it common for a couple to split the bill/ for the guy to pay/ for the girl pay most of the time (assuming both parties are working and earning decent amount)? I am quite curious since my bf used to pay while he was working and I was studying. Now I am working and paying for most meal but my parents told me I shouldn’t be paying since he is the one asking me out.
Here are what netizens think:
- The relationship is a two-way street. Whatever works for you, every couple is different. Some believe guys should pay since they are providers, some believe going dutch since it’s gender equality.
- both should pay. why are you paying for MOST meals?? Or is he paying for the other stuff like movie tickets, etc etc while you pay for meals?
- Surely you are past that stage when he was chasing you? And it’s a mutual decision to go out and eat together, right?
- A person who pull their weight is often welcomed, gender aside. If a person is able to pay, why the fuck wouldn’t he/she? Relationship aside, if I ask my friends out and want their time, I would be footing the bill. But that’s not the same context your question is sharing. Going by your parents logic would mean if he asks you to BTO with him, he pay everything meh…
- If it’s important enough, both parties should have an honest discussion about it and have an agreement so that it doesn’t turn into making assumptions who’s paying whenever they eat out.