A number of people have reported their unfortunate encounter with scammers who calls and disturbs them.
The key to defeating the scammers is educating yourself, it’s like if you discovered how a magic trick works it is no longer magic.
Here are 3 stories shared by netizens who have received the same or similar phone calls.
1. Both Starhub and Singtel
Received a call from a lady claiming she is from the technical department and said that I am having issues with my wifi, she reported that I had higher consumption in the past week.
When asked what is my subscriber identification she couldn’t answer and repeatedly answered twice she’s from the technical dept. Forcing her into answering me, that’s when she said she’s from Starhub and Singtel but none of those is my wifi subscriber, asked if I was Natasha (not my name) and so she hung up the phone.
2. UNSOLICITED PHONE CALLERS
1. Incoming caller id shows various phone number (8*******, 6*******, 88******). One common sign: once I picked up the call, the caller on the other line takes a while to respond. As if they are not in local Singapore or there is a lagging issue.
2. Very professional fluent English speaking callers, identifying himself/herself “as SingTel technical department. Good afternoon. How are you today? Greetings. We detected high usage, hacking risk etc etc. Can you see if your router is blinking light etc? “
3. Once I turn on my recorder and asked the caller to repeat, they will hang up immediately!
4. The 1st recording I did was 27 Jan 2022 from 6******, the lady caller was slow to realise and the recording captured her voice. But she soon hung up the phone after a few seconds.
3. Internet Usage Again
The number called and told me they are Starhub. I asked for their employee Id, they gave me the number 2411. she said her name as well. The purpose of the call: She wanted to alert me that there are high volume of internet being used through my starhub internet and that i need to tell them about how many devices are connected to my router.
At this point, i stopped talking to them by telling them that they are suspicious and they ended the call.