The 68-year-old man who died after falling onto the tracks at Segar LRT station on May 18 may have suffered a low blood sugar episode before the incident, according to his son.
The victim, identified as Lu Xixing (transliteration), was reportedly on his way to work when the tragedy occurred in the early morning hours.
Speaking to Chinese evening daily Shin Min Daily News, his son said his father had a history of low blood sugar and had previously experienced episodes of dizziness and discomfort.
“He’s usually the first person to arrive at school and needs to leave very early,” the son shared.
“He has low blood sugar, which I’ve heard from his friends before. He’s experienced dizziness and discomfort during a few episodes. I suspect that this is why he accidentally fell off the track this time.”
Lu was working as a school administrator at a primary school in Sengkang at the time of his death.
Son describes father as pillar of family
According to his son, Lu was the family’s sole breadwinner and remained hardworking even as he approached retirement age.
Before taking on his role at the school, Lu had reportedly managed several businesses over the years, including an agricultural products company, a restaurant, and later worked as a store manager.
“He learns things very quickly and enjoys interacting with people,” his son said.
“Even as he approaches retirement age, he chooses to continue working.”
The grieving son also described his father as a dependable and responsible man who served as the family’s role model for decades.
“I didn’t take good care of him, and I feel very guilty for not fulfilling my responsibilities as a son,” he added.
Currently working as a salesman, the son said he had hoped to make his father proud as his own career was beginning to improve.
He also promised to take care of his mother following the sudden loss.
Questions raised over safety measures at Segar LRT station
The incident has also prompted the family to raise questions over safety measures at LRT stations in Singapore.
The son said SMRT had sent a representative to visit the family after the incident, although discussions have been postponed while funeral arrangements are underway.
While acknowledging that investigations would not bring his father back, he expressed hope that authorities would review existing transport safety systems to prevent similar tragedies.
Among the concerns raised were whether the gaps between platform screen doors at the LRT station may be too wide, potentially increasing the risk of accidental falls.
He also questioned whether LRT trains are equipped with detection systems capable of identifying a person or object on the tracks in time to trigger emergency braking.
According to witnesses cited by the family, someone had reportedly pressed the emergency stop button during the incident.
The son questioned whether trains would stop immediately once the emergency system is activated.
He also pointed out what he believed were inconsistencies in the reported timeline of events.
Based on statements issued by authorities, the man allegedly fell onto the tracks at around 5am. Police were reportedly alerted at about 5:50am, while the Singapore Civil Defence Force said it was informed at approximately 6:25am.
The son questioned what had happened during the period between the incident and the emergency response notifications.
The incident has since sparked discussions online about commuter safety, platform design, and emergency response procedures within Singapore’s public transport network.
Photos via Shin Min Daily News
